Cooking Terms
Substitutions
International Links
Message Board

Convert

to

=

NetCooks.com

Keep on cooking and we will keep the recipes coming!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Favorite Holiday Foods
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:18 pm 

Seems to be a little quiet around here lately. Maybe this will liven things up a bit.

Since the American members have just waddled :wink: through Thanksgiving, and Christmas/Hannukah/?(your tradition) is here or just around the corner, what are some of your favorite holiday foods and food traditions...recipes would be nice (if you haven't already shared) but I know that some recipes are old family heirlooms and not to be shared with outsiders. :wink:

I'll start...although I don't have anything particularly exciting or unusual.

French Toast and maple sausage breakfast on Christmas morning. This is a fairly new tradition...my S.O. has a friend that is a butcher/sausage maker, and he makes the best maple breakfast links I have ever had.

I have to admit I the whole turkey dinner thing is a highlight (sometimes we have ham too)...complete with the works, including pickle and relish trays, fresh baked rolls, cranberry sauce, and lots of pies. (I baked 4 pies for Thanksgiving - apple, pumpkin, pecan, and sweet potato)

My family always requests my sour cream cheese bread for an appetizer/snack food.

I usually bake about 8 to 10 different types of cookies and cookie type treats. But I can't let the holidays get by without making gingerbread cookies, even if I don't do any other baking. Aside from all the other little cutouts, I always decorate one gingerbread man or woman to look like each member of the family.

Some others that aren't exactly mine, but I look forward to...One of my sister-in-laws makes incredible baked beans, another makes wonderful three-bean salad...nothing fancy...just things that have become a regular and expected part of our holiday get-togethers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:32 am 

WOW!! After reading what you did for the holidays I had to take a nap just to recouperate. Hope you had a little time for yourself and I hope everyone appreciated what you did. One of the traditions we have during Chanukah is brisket of beef. If you go onto this sites recipes and look up Brisket a la Joe you will find a wonderful recipe that is easy to make and absoluely delicious (thanks Mom). I also have a couple of recipes for potato pancakes (latkas) which I will give in a couple of days.
ENJOY !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:16 am 

LOL - I guess I should have been more specific...the cookies are something I do over the couple of weeks before Christmas. I 'd never do them if I didn't spread it out. And dinner is usually a cooperative effort if there are guests. Although I did do it all myself one year for my former inlaws (six or eight, I can't remember), and it was actually fun. My own family is huge, so my mother made it an early on tradition to delegate a different dish to each sister-in-law.

Also noticed that 12 - read that TWELVE - people have already looked at this, but you are the only one to have responded so far Reckless.

Come on folks...or is it still too early for most of you to get into the holiday spirit? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 9:51 pm 

:D
Australians traditionally like ham at Christmas. A great big leg of ham is bought and stored in a 'ham bag' (or a pillow case) in the refrigerator. It can be eaten hot for dinner even though we have our Christmas in summer. Then a few slices are lopped off to keep hunger pangs at bay around suppertime. Boxing Day morning, it is eaten with eggs and tomatoes and mushrooms and the works. After that it appears in umpteen sandwiches and salads.
Me? I like seafood at Christmas.

Post subject: We did our usual for Thanksgiving...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:48 pm 

My wife's family is large so we parcel out the jobs according to everyone's wants and talents. One brother-in-law brings ham and collard greens. Another brings fried turkey. One sister-in-law bakes a turkey and another has some side dish specialties. We always provide seven layer salad and a desert cake of some description. In addition, this year I took the day off before Thanksgiving and smoked a couple of turkey breasts, one to take to the shindig and one to have at home for afters. It was all pretty good and I was waddling for days.

Christmas we spend playing with new toys so the cook has a day off. He just has to have a ham in the fridge for nibbling. :wink:

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?