Cooking Terms
Substitutions
International Links
Message Board

Convert

to

=

NetCooks.com

Keep on cooking and we will keep the recipes coming!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Going overboard?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:15 am 

Hi everyone, :)
A couple of news items has me wondering if people are not going too hard at this low-carb thing.
A recipe of Nutrition in Melbourne says carbs fight against cancer, heart disease and diabetes. Side effects of low-carb diets are lethargy, constipation, dehydration and bad breath :!: :!: The heart prefers carbs as fuel and too little may lead to disturbances in the rhythm.
Another report states that Idaho potato farmers are feeling the cut-back on their product.
Guess 'moderation in all things' is the way to go.
Have a nice day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:35 pm 

:D If you eat healthy six out of seven days you don't have to go on any fad diets. Stay away from the fried foods and the greasy snacks and you will be okay. Try not eating french fries,potato chips,regular soft drinks or meat for two weeks and you will see that you will lose weight. Replace this garbage with fresh fruit and you will see a new you.

Post subject: going overboard
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:11 am 

Tu parles! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:26 am 

Merci beaucoup!!

Post subject: No matter what you two just said.....
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:25 pm 

..... I'll go along with what you said before. :D We did the Atkins thing here and it was hard as heck to stick with it. The main thing is that the first few weeks serve to break you of habits like reaching for bread at table and drinking all those sodas. After achieving my weight loss goals it was easier to 'lighten up' without getting back into those bad habits. I only had to go from 220 lb to 185 lb. If I had been coming down from 350 lb it may well have seemed interminable but my goal was reached in less than 12 weeks. OK, the first two weeks still seemed interminable but as with most things 'ya get over it'. Now I indulge in potatoes or rice occasionally but those items remain an indulgence rather than being a staple. Add that occasional bit of fruit and drink some electrolyte rather than a soft drink. It's more a matter of training the attitude to be right than anything else.

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:23 am 

Most people could do with cutting back on the bread, pasta, sodas, etc. Good nutrition with good, primarily natural (not prepackaged, precooked, etc.) foods eaten in moderation is always the best diet. Unfortunately, especially in the US, we want what we want, and we want it now. And taste good/feel good seems to be more important than what is good and healthy for us. I can be just as guilty as anyone else when I am hurried or tired.

In my opinion, the low carb thing works for a lot of people because I don't think most people realize how much they over do the simple carbohydrates (white bread, sugars, etc.). Removing a lot of the simple carbs and/or replacing them with complex carbs such as veggies would make a big difference for a lot of people. But I don't think removing carbs to the extreme that some do is all that healthy either. As my good friend said after trying the Atkins - "I shouldn't have to feel guilty for eating vegtables."

I think it is a great way to get started losing unwanted pounds and have done a modified version quite successfully myself, but for health reasons, fruits and veggies shouldn't be avoided over long periods of time - even if just for the obvious dietary fiber reason. :oops:

I wish the fresh markets were as common here as (I suppose) they are in Europe. We have only a couple in my area and they are both seasonal, but it is usually much better produce, fresher, and less expensive than the supermarket.

Flash - did you notice any difference (improvement) in energy level, etc. when you cut back on the carbs? I know I sleep better and feel less fatigued when I am more diligent about cutting carbs, especially breads and sugars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:27 am 

Did you know that when you can't get fresh seasonal vegetables your best alternative are frozen vegetables. They are picked,sorted and packaged the same day and don't have salt added like canned vegetables.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:22 pm 

Question for anyone out there. :D
Is there any truth in the assertion that vegetables lose nutritional value if micro-waved?
I like to steam mine but use the m/w if I am in a hurry.
As for frozen vegetables, I find them indispensable at times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:40 pm 

:( Well the truth of the matter is that they do lose quite a bit of their nutrients. For example broccoli when microwaved lost 97% of flavanoids,74% of sinapics and 87% of caffeoyl-quinic derivatives (three different types of antioxidants). When boiled it lost 66% of flavanoids,61% of sinapics and 47% of the caffeoyl-quinic derivatives. But when steamed it only lost 11%,0% and 8% respectively. So your best bet is to always steam veggies when you can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:32 am 

Ewww - canned veggies! You are absolutely right RC. No flavor to them either. The only veggies in a can in my cupboard are of the tomato variety, and beans - and even the beans are only for those hurried times when I don't have time to soak my own.

Speaking of beans - this is what I was told about them...and preventing, uh, flatulence.

Don't cook your beans in the same water you soaked them in.
Make sure the beans are fully cooked. To test this, you should be able to mash a cooked bean against the roof of your mouth with your tongue.

And somewhat back to the subject - cooking with fresh (or frozen :wink: ), whole foods limits the amounts of salt, chemicals and additives we ingest - which most of the time are far too many.